Friday, June 23, 2017

Top 10 Storage Shed Accessories

January 10, 2009 by
Filed under Shed Accessories

There are plenty of optional features for your storage shed which you can purchase or build yourself. Here is our top 10 list of storage shed accessories.

1 Tractor Ramp – Although not every shed owner needs a ramp it still tops our list.

2 Loft – Inexpensive to construct, a loft adds additional storage space. Lofts are perfect for storing everything from pool toys to boxes of holiday decorations.

3 Cupola – A vented cupola helps to cool your shed during the hot summer months. Cupolas adorned with a weathervane add character to your storage shed.

4 Bike Hooks – They come in a variety of shapes and sizes and can be used to hang bikes as well as ladders, hose, pool implements etc. I hang a small snow thrower from a couple of hooks in my shed.

5 Shelving – Slat wall works well and give you the ability to add/remove shelves quickly and easily. There are many different types of shelves, baskets, hooks etc. which are compatible with slat wall.

6 Shed Alarm – Probably not the first thing that pops into someones head when thinking about a shed accessory. A MUST have if your storing valuable items in your shed.

7 Lights – This is a necessity to many. Ideally, you were able to run power to your shed and install some lights and outlets. If you don’t need power to your shed basic tap lights work very well for those times when there just is not enough sun light. Another option are solar shed lights. They take longer to install than a tap light but will never need batteries.

8 Heater – Through the wall propane heaters work well and are not expensive to operate. It can also ehat up a 10′x16 shed in a matter of minutes. Electric heaters are another option.

9 Window Boxes – A very popular shed accessory. I recommend vinyl or composite so you don’t have to worry about rotting.

10 Loft Door – You don’t necessarily need a loft to have a loft door. Who would need a loft door? They’re great for plumbers, electricians, carpenters etc. A loft door makes it easy to store lumber, pipes and other long objects (kayaks, canoes) from the outside.

Shed loft door

Comments

6 Responses to “Top 10 Storage Shed Accessories”
  1. Jim says:

Great list. I would add work benches, peg boards, and insulation.

2. admin says:

Actually, I opted to go with slat wall as it is far more versatile than peg board although peg board would be an alternative .
    Benches/shelves are along the same lines as slat wall. You can actually add shelves to slat wall so no sense in building stationary or permanent shelves when you can add and remove as needed with slat wall.
    Insulation is more of an option as opposed to an accessory. For instance today we built a shed with an insulated floor which was an option the customer opted for. Accessories are more or less items which can be added after the fact. You could insulate the walls after but in our eyes it wasnt a top 10.

Thanks very much for the post!

3. Don says:

I’m still working on what I want in a shed…. BUT I was in one at a dealers lot that had a translucent roof vent in it. Kinda like a mini skylight. Just seemed to be a great idea to me.

Thanks for the site!

4. admin says:

Don,

Is this what you are referring to?
    Translucent Shed or Barn Skylight

I have used these skylights several times. They don’t allow a ton of light in and they are not the best venting solution however they are inexpensive and easy to install. So it’s a coin flip. Additional ventilation can’t hurt.
    Lexan Panels work well for lighting however they increase the shed temperature.

You can probably find decent skylight on craigslist.org for a reasonable price.
    Something like this would be ideal in my opinion:
    Standard Skylight - Storage Sheds

Hope this helps!

John

5. Don says:

I think that is it. I’m afraid I would forget and leave a vented Skylight open ( not that it could hurt that much)

I found a picture of one at this site http://www.californiacustomsheds.com/skylite.htm

Hope it is OK to post the link.

I have no idea who sells these.

6. admin says:

Yes that is the same translucent skylight.
    If you build yourself let me know and I can get you one (or more) cheap that is if I can find them. I haven’t seen them in a while but I know I have a box of them somewhere.