Thursday, April 24, 2014

DuraTemp(tm) siding – Ultimate shed siding

September 23, 2009 by
Filed under Building a Shed

Over the years we have used many sidings in the construction of our storage sheds.

As a kid I would help my father stack the rough sawn pine on the trucks. By the time I was old enough to work we were using less rough sawn pine siding and more plywood sheet siding products. Pine and Fir T1-11 were the most popular. These plywood sidings were more durable than the pine and decreased the amount of time it took us to build a shed. We began panelizing the walls in the shop allowing for a much faster install time.

The problems with the sheet sidings was that they did not take paint well. The exterior layer was rough and after a few years needed a new coat of paint. They also contained boat knots or football knots. These are areas where knots were cut out of the last layer of the T1-11 and filler was added. They are shaped like footballs or boats hence the name. The filler would sometimes deteriorate and leave the plywood exposed.Overall it was still the most cost effective, durable siding for storage sheds.

About 13 years ago we were introduced to DuraTemp™ siding.

DuraTemp™ has a plywood veneer inner core and a hardboard face. It takes paint extremely well and the hardboard face will not crack, split or check. The hardboard face will not easily show marks when hit with a hammer. Simply put it is a super tough, long lasting siding.

Key Benefits of DuraTemp™

* Does not Crack, Check or Split
* Is made using genuine plywood
* The finish resembles rough sawn cedar
* Is super easy to paint with latex gloss or semi gloss latex house paint formulated for wood( Do NOT use stain, vinyl acrylic exterior paint)
* Will not have to be repainted for 8-15 years (this is from my own experience )
* It is relatively light weight No boat knots
* No added urea formaldehyde (NAUF)
* Cost effective siding solution

The first time I was introduced to DuraTemp™ by a lumber broker I was very skeptical. I listened to his sales pitch and quite frankly wasn’t sold on it. Having heard many similar claims from other salesmen I needed some proof. At the end of our meeting he asked me if I had a bucket he could use. I went and got one for him and he went proceeded to fill it about half way with water. He took his DuraTemp™ sample and placed it in the bucket. He told me to leave it in the bucket and give him a call in a month or so.

I would pull the siding sample out of the water every few days or so to see how much it had expanded from absorbing water but there was no noticeable change. About 2-3 months later the majority of our storage sheds had DuraTemp™ hardboard siding.

At our store we have a garage we use for storing tools etc. Although I can’t remember it’s exact age it is over 10 years old. Other than the paint fading and some dings and dents to the garage doors and trim it is in incredibly good shape. I have never repainted it and don’t plan to anytime soon.

We have delivered well over five thousand sheds with DuraTemp™ siding and there have been very few problems. The ones we did have were due to a bad sheet of siding which was promptly replaced.

So if you’re buying or building a shed don’t hesitate to go with DuraTemp.

Comments

8 Responses to “DuraTemp(tm) siding – Ultimate shed siding”
  1. Pat says:

I will never buy or will i recommend this siding again. It was installed on a shed and has gave us nothing but problems from day 1. It is warping like crazy, Pulling studs out of place and looks like crap.The company will not stand behind this product because warping is not covered in the 50 Year warranty. I guess you can only use this product inside so it never see’s any weather.JUNK

2. admin says:

Sorry to hear about your duratemp problems! Maybe I can help or at least try to.

If you read my post you see that we have delivered thousands of sheds with duratemp siding. My post says 5k but its over 7k now that I think about it. We have never had the duratemp delaminate so this is a very isolated incident and there may be a reason for it.
    Post a picture or send a couple to me at info at storagesheds dot org. Take inside and outside pics if you don’t mind.

The worst thing I have ever had duratemp do is delaminate and that is very very rare. Maybe 1 in 2000 sheds and it is always just one sheet.

What was the thickness of the duratemp?
    Did you build the shed yourself or was it delivered by a shed company or built by a contractor?
    What was used for framing and what were the centers?
    Did you paint it soon after installation or was it painted by the shed company or contractor?
    Was the duratemp stored outside for a period of time before use?

The fact that it happened to your entire shed and wasn’t isolated to one sheet very strange and maybe the lumberyard or contractor had a stack of it sitting out and not properly stacked. This is the only thing I can think of which could potentially cause a problem.

Let me know the particulars and I will speak to my rep. and see what he thinks.

3. Bill says:

Where can I purchase duratemp by the sheet around Buffalo New York? I have an older shed and want to replace the boards.

Thank you.

4. admin says:

Hi Bill,

I would contact the manufacturer as many lumber which sell duratemp do not advertise online.
    Here is their site: Roseburg

5. Jim says:

Hello,
    I own a small shed manufacturing company in Michigan and am planning an expansion for 2012. I am seriously considering switching entirely to Duratemp but can’t seem to locate any direct distributors. Could you reccomend any distributors to me? I’m not opposed to purchasing large quantities at a time if it lowers the cost per sheet. I appreciate any assistance.
    Sincerely,
    Jim

6. admin says:

Hi Jim,

I don’t have the number for the Rep. in your area but I do have the phone number for panel/lumber sales: 800-245-1115
    I believe the rep for your area is:
    JOHN WALTERS
    800-592-7019
    johnw@rfpco.com

As you probably read in my post I am a big fan of Duratemp.

Good luck with your expansion and remember to add your company to our storage shed business directory even if you don’t have a web site post your contact info so customers can find your company when searching online.

Thanks and let me know if you need anything else.

John